Room 218,Building B, CAUP, Tongji Univ.
History, theory and criticism of Architecture
LI Xiangning focuses on the research of architecture and urban development in contemporary China. He is a member of the International Committee of Architectural Critics, and the Vice President and Secretary-General of Committee of Architectural Criticism of Architectural Society of China. He has published widely on contemporary Chinese architecture and urbanism in international architectural magazines including Architectural Review, A+U, Architectural Record, The Plan, Arquitectura Viva, Space, Domus, and Volume.
LI Xiangning has been working with international museums and institutes, including Milan Triennale and Goethe Institute, curating exhibitions on Chinese architecture. He is the curator of the Pavilion of China at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition La Biennale di Venezia, academic director and curator of Busan International Environment Art Festival. He is also co-curator of 2011 Chendu Biennale, 2011 Shenzhen Biennale, academic director and curator of 2013 Shenzhen/Hong Kong Bi-city Biennale, curator of Shanghai Westbund 2013 Biennale, and curator for 2015/2017 Shanghai Urban Space Art Season.
He has been a jury member to many international awards and competitions including Spanish International Architectural Award, Holcim Award for Sustainable Construction, and Mies van der Rohe Award the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture. He is the editor in chief of the Architecture China, and serves as editorial board member of many academic journals such as Architecture Asia(Journal of Architects Regional Council Asia),The PLAN and Le Visiteur (Journal of Société Française des Architectes).
1.Western architectural history
3.Contemporary architecture and city in China
4. Lectures on Frontiers of Architecture: Craft
5. Contemporary Architecture and Urbanism in China: Discourse and Practices
Grants and Awards:
1.Research of Theory and Practice of Chinese Architecture Art(1949-2019). Supported by National Social Science Fund of China (Major Art Projects). 2020.07—2024.12
2. Research on International Evaluation Cognitive Model and Communication Mechanism of Contemporary Chinese Architecture Based on Relevance Domain Critical Discourse Analysis. Supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China. 2019.01—2022.12
3. Building a Future Countryside: Overseas Tour Exhibition of Pavilion of China at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition La Biennale di Venezia. Supported by National Art Fund of China.2019.1-2020.12
6.The second prize(Garden Landscape Design) of ASC Architectural Design Award.2018
4.The first prize(Excellent Garden and Landscape Design) of National Excellent Engineering Survey and Design Industry Award.2017
5.The first prize(Garden Landscape Design) of 2017 Excellent Engineering Survey and Design by the Ministry of Education of China.2017
6. Research on System Establishment, Expo Model, Information Storage and Reproduction Technology of the Architecture Museum in China. Supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China. 2011.01--2013.12
7. Scientific research innovation project of Shanghai Education Committee: Research on the interactive mechanism of contemporary Chinese building curation and criticism. 2009.12--2011.12
8. Research program The future of the city from MAK architecture center. LA. US: Comparative studies on the mable space between Los Angeles and Shanghai suburban areas. Supported by Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States
9.Curation and criticism of contemporary Chinese Architecture . Supported by Outstanding young teachers` research funding of Tongji University 2007.11--2009.11
10.Case study on contemporary western urban theory and Shanghai urban culture. Supported by Engineering development funding of Tongji University.2004.11--2006.11
1.Local Architecture Strategies in the context of globalization(2019)
2.Towards a Critical Pragmatism：Contemporary Architecture in China(2018)
3. Shanghai Regeneration——Five Paradigms(2017)
4.Contemporary Chinese Architecture Reader(2017)
5. Made in Shanghai (2014)
6. Contemporary Green Buildings in China, DOM publishers,(2011)
7. Updating China: Projects for a Sustainable Future（2010）8.The Real and the Imagined: A Study of Value in Contemporary Urban Theory（2009）